The Ghost Rifle – Christian Springs

Called The Ghost Rifle, this is an early Christian Springs rifle built by Allen Martin a few years ago. This in not a copy of any particular rifle, but a synthesis of a few well known early makers. Acanthus leaves dominate the detailed relief carving and the “ghost” underneath the box’s lid is taken from a original gravestone from the 1760′s. The ghost or “winged death” was a common motif of the time and was not considered morbid.